The library became tax-supported in 1924 after the general election on November 4. At that time, it moved from the Hugoton Hermes office to the County Superintendent’s office at the Stevens County Courthouse, and remained there until a permanent structure was built in 1934.
The first permanent home to the Stevens County Library was a round adobe building, located on the corner of 5th and Monroe Streets, and built as a N.Y.A. project in 1934. This facility was remodeled in 1953 and housed the library until the latter part of 1961, and was razed after the collection was relocated into a new building.
The library moved into a new building in November 1961. Located directly behind the first permanent building, it included room for 25,000 volumes and boasted an outdoor patio and rose garden. This facility served a growing population and a growing collection until 1976, when the rose garden was enclosed to create the Kansas Room. With space for information of local interest and a large area for displays of artwork this room also provided an area for meetings and children’s Storytime.
In 1985, the library received a second addition. The Centennial Room Addition included additional space for materials as well as workspace for staff.
In the 85th year of the Stevens County Library, another addition and renovation of the library facility began. The population of the community continued to grow, and in order to meet the needs of the people in the county and surrounding areas, the library had to expand. Included in the new addition are areas for materials, genealogical research, computers, staff work space, fully compliant handicap-accessible restrooms, storage, and an all-purpose area for storytime, summer reading programming, meetings, and community events.